Job Responsibilities : Head Football Athletic Trainer, Department of Athletics
Office Address : Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Educational requirements : Postgraduate Degree
External Applicants: Please upload your resume on the Apply screen. Your application will automatically populate your resume details, and you may verify and update data on the My Information page.
Please add your cover letter and any other documents required for the position to the Resume/CV document upload section at the bottom of the My Experience application page. Use the Select Files button to add multiple documents including your cover letter and supporting documents. The My Experience page is the only opportunity to add your cover letter and supporting document attachments. You will not be able to modify your application after you submit it.
Current Employees: Apply from your existing Workday account. Do not apply from the website. Log in to Workday. Click on the Career Worklet and select Find Jobs. Locate the position and click Apply. Update your Education and Job History.
** Cover letter required for all positions and optional for facilities, campus services, and hospitality positions unless otherwise specified.
Job Description Summary
Performs a variety of functions in the care, prevention, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries to student-athletes through an existing Sports Medicine program. Specific responsibilities include coordination of medical healthcare for football, consultation with the Medical Director and maintain communication with between student-athletes, staff, and medical personnel.
- Provides comprehensive evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation of athletically injured student-athletes, in conjunction with the Medical Director, team physicians, and other affiliated medical personnel.
- Primary responsibilities include practice coverage, game coverage, travel, and emergency medical care preparation for all football student-athletes.
- Coordinates, oversees and mentors FB athletic training staff which will include at a minimum assistant athletic trainers (ATCs) and graduate assistant (GA) ATCs.
- Coordinates mental and behavioral health/wellness referrals for student-athletes as indicated.
- Properly documents injuries as well as treatments and rehabilitation sessions of injured student-athletes.
- Follows prescribed rehabilitation and treatment protocols of the Medical Director and team physicians when providing healthcare for the injured or sick student-athlete.
- Ensures effective communication between the Medical Director, team physicians, coaches, and staff regarding student-athlete status and updates.
- Provides daily injury reports to coaches, the Medical Director, and the Head Athletic Trainer. Discusses progress, challenges, expectations, modifications, and return to play status.
- Works with strength and conditioning coaches; and nutrition regarding student-athletes and necessary limitations associated with illness or injury.
- Assists in the daily supervision and educational instruction of student assistants.
- Assists with the maintenance of all OSHA requirements for department.
- Assists with drug testing collections for student-athletes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Master’s degree in a medically related field (sports medicine)
- 5 years of experience in a medical field working with elite athletes and coaches.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA rules, regulations, and medical guidance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability and desire to perform accurate detail-oriented work, to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and to establish a professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated knowledge of FERPA and HIPAA.
- Ability to interpret, comply with, and enforce NCAA, ACC and University rules, regulations and medical guidance.
- Ability to exercise discretion in highly confidential matters.
- Ability to foster a cooperative environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Must be able to meet the requirements of the University’s automobile insurance policy.
- NATA BOC certification, licensure (eligible for NC), CPR/AED/First Aid certification required.
- Ability to evaluate therapeutic requirements for student-athletes, and to fit and modify therapeutic and/or protective equipment.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- 5 years working with a Power 5 conference member or professional team.
- Supervises exempt staff, non-exempt staff and students (as appropriate) including scheduling and assignment of work, reviewing performance, recommending salary actions, promotions, or discharges.
- Maintain budgetary control and fiscal responsibility.
- Direct supervision for full-time assistant athletic trainers with primary responsibility for football as related to performance, clinical skill, rehabilitation, emergency procedures, practices and event coverage. Assists in the daily supervision of the athletic training room.
- Clinically supervises student athletic trainers as related to performance, academics, schedules, practice, and event coverage.
Additional Job Description
Wake Forest University requires proof of full vaccination with an FDA approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccine for all positions posted on or after September 13, 2021. Wake Forest University requires that you provide satisfactory proof of full vaccination status to Human Resources within three days of your hire date. You must also maintain full COVID-19 vaccination status, as classified by the CDC, during your employment at Wake Forest University.
Consistent with federal, state and local law, Wake Forest University will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons unless providing an accommodation would result in an undue hardship to the University.
If you seek an accommodation from the vaccination requirement for disability- or religious-based reasons, you should contact Human Resources.
New employees who are hired into positions posted prior to September 13, 2021, offers of employment made to new employees prior to that date, and employees for positions at Graylyn Conference Center are generally exempt from the vaccination requirement unless the employee’s position is otherwise subject to a vaccination requirement due to the essential components of the position as described in Policy.
Time Type Requirement
Note to Applicant:
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
WakeForestseeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate.In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on thebasis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran statusandencourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.
RKMS Jobs is a space where professionals can connect with each other, find job opportunities and build their careers.